BUILDING AREA TERMINOLOGY
1 Km2 = 100 Hectares = 247.10 Acre = 0.386 miles2
1 miles2 =640 Acres = 259 Hectares = 2.59 km2
(5) Currency Measurement
1 million = 10 lakhs = 106
1 lakh = 105
1 crore = 107
1 billion = 109 (one thousand times a million)
1 trillion = 1011 (6)
Water (Volume & Weight)
1 m3 = 1000 Kg = 1000 Litre
1 Kg = 1 Litre
1 gm = 1 cm3
1 gm = 1 ml
(1) Plinth area or Covered area :
Built up covered area including thickness of wall; it shall not include the following:
(1) Chabutra with open top and unenclosed on sides by walls.
(3) Uncovered staircases inside building.
(4) Areas covered by window/door chajjas, architectural bands, cornice, vertical sun breakers/fins, box louvers outside window.
(5) Compound wall with gates.
(6) Garden, tank, open pavement.
(7) All areas required for common services, i.e., lifts, sanitary pipe shafts open to sky, garages and other parking area, outside staircases and common entrance areas between flats, servant quarters, sub-station, pump house.
Plinth area shall include the following :
i. Inside covered staircases.
ii. ½ the area of uncovered balcony
iii. Full area of covered balcony.
iv. ½ area of chabutra enclosed on sides.
|(2) Circulatory Area :|
Areas used for the movement of persons, i.e., passages, corridors, staircases, porch, lift shaft, etc.
(3) Carpet Area :In indicates the useful area of the building i.e., floor area - Circulatory area - Toilets (baths, water closets) - air-conditioning room etc.Carpet area may be 50 to 75 % of the total floor area.
(4) Floor Area : It is same as Plinth area. However usable floor area = Plinth area - area of walls.
(5) Ground Cover Area :Plot area - Landscaped, paved and other open and undeveloped area and parking. It is approximately equal to covered area at ground floor of all the buildings.
(6) Open Area : Plot area - Ground cover area.
(7) Living Area :The term Living Area is generally employed for deducting license fee in case of Government accommodation. It is calculated as follows.
(a) Rooms, kitchen, bath, latrine,
Store and enclosed verandah - 100 % of the floor area
(b) Verandah, corridors and Bar sati - 25 % of the floor area
(c) Porch - 12.50 % of the floor area
(d) Courtyard puce - 5 % of the floor area
(a) Rooms - 25 % of the floor area
(b) Verandahs - 12.50 % of the floor area
(8) Plot Area: Areas of the full inside boundary walls of premises.
(9) Floor Area Ratio: F.A.R = (Total covered areas of all floors/Plot area) x 100
Some useful notes regarding Plinth Area
(1) Plinth area includes the wall thickness.
(2) For canopied or covered balcony with parapets and railing around the balcony, full area shall be taken for plinth area calculations.
(3) For uncovered balcony but with railing and parapets around, only 50 % area is to be considered for plinth area calculations.
(4) For open pucca platform outside the house without parapets and handrails and no cover on top, nothing shall be considered in plinth area.
(5) For platform (at Ground floor) and with parapets or compound wall around but without cover on top, 50 % is to be considered.
(6) For verandah (i.e., cover on top) full area is to be considered in plinth area.(7) Entrance porch shall not be included in plinth area.